5 Dos For a Safe and Enjoyable Overseas Road Trip
The December holidays are nearing, and many young families will soon be abroad enjoying their holidays. With rental cars in foreign countries becoming increasingly accessible, road trips are fast becoming a popular overseas holiday activity for many Singaporeans.
For the uninitiated, a road trip involves a long drive along a planned route, usually with stops or overnight stays along the way. Here at SingaporeInk we have compiled a list of dos to keep your road trip safe and enjoyable.
- Do plan your trip well ahead, and confirm all accommodation bookings at least a week before your flight. The last thing you want to happen is to have to sleep in the car in a remote part of the country because the hotel is over-booked.
- Do pay your car rental fees in advance. This will save you a lot of money, as many car rental companies offer good discounts for those who pay upfront when making a rental booking online. This would be a good opportunity to suss out any hidden costs in the car rental agreement.
- Do research on the telecoms provider in your holiday destination. Why do we recommend doing this? It is always a good idea to get your prepaid SIM card from the provider with the biggest coverage. You don’t want to keep facing connectivity issues when you’re lost and need help.
- Do have spare cash for emergencies. If you experience an unexpected breakdown and have to get some repairs done, workshops in remote countrysides might not accept credit card payments.
- Do have a backup driver. Most Singaporeans are not used to driving long hours or distances (being stuck in traffic jams don’t count as a long drive). It is a good idea to have someone take over the wheel when you’re tired. In most country roads, the speed limit can be as high as 110 km/hr, and have winding corners. It is definitely not a good idea to be driving 6-7 hours at a stretch.
These are just some tips from our team at SingaporeInk. We do hope you will enjoy yourselves, and most importantly be safe.Editor's Note: Do you have a story to share? Please use our Submission Form or email us.
If not, why not give us a 'LIKE'
Ping me on WhatsApp